Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Call Buckingham Palace

It has occurred to me more than once during this latest furore over Brown's ineptitude that a call to HM would have been useful. After all she has had more experience than most in sending letters of sympathy to people she does not know and I have heard no complaints over the last 50 years.
There is obviously a knack to this, getting the words right and the presentation right and not seeking any personal or political gain. I doubt if the palace guard would let anything out that was inappropriate or had not been double and triple checked, and I sense that the Queen is always open to advice.
I'm afraid Gordon Brown is not in this camp. The letter, although sincerely intended no doubt, betrays haste and an absence of input from someone less impetuous. Is there anybody left in Downing Street who has the courage to say: "Er, excuse me Prime Minister.......

No comments:

Post a Comment